Hydroxypropyl-guar, or HP-Guar®, acts as a gelling agent, creating an elastic matrix on the corneal surface upon instillation1, producing a protective environment and forming a bio-adhesive gel that binds specifically to the hydrophobic regions of the cornea, where integrity is compromised.3
Benefits of HP-Guar® include:
- Increased retention4
- Prolonged protection4
- Greater hydration and lubrication compared to hyaluronic acid (HA) alone4
- Davitt, W.F., Bloomenstein, M., Christensen, M. and Martin, A.E., 2010. Efficacy in patients with dry eye after treatment with a new lubricant eye drop formulation. Journal of ocular pharmacology and therapeutics, 26(4), pp.347-353.
- Based on internal calculations by Alcon using third-party data; Alcon data on file, 2021.
- Mrukwa-Kominek E, Baranska K, Jadczyk K. First clinical reports on the application of the moderndualpolymer formula in aqueous deficiency dry eye syndrome: Polish observations. Presented at the20th ESCRS Winter Meeting; February 26-28, 2016, Athens, Greece.
- Rangarajan R, Kraybill B, Ogundele A, Ketelson H. Effects of a Hyaluronic Acid/Hydroxypropyl Guar Artificial Tear Solution on Protection, Recovery, and Lubricity in Models of Corneal Epithelium. J. Ocul. Pharmacol. Ther. 2015;31(8):491-497.
- Bron et al. TFOS DEWS II Pathophysiology Report The Ocular Surface 2017; 15(3): 438-510.
See instructions for use for wear, care, precautions, warnings, contraindications and adverse effects.
Alcon Systane® ULTRA PRESERVATIVE-FREE, Systane® HYDRATION,PRESERVATIVE-FREE, Systane® COMPLETE PRESERVATIVE-FREE Alcon logos are trademarks of Alcon Inc.